Friday, October 8, 2010

Sherlock Holmes: Radio Story

Sherlock Holmes, The Final Problem

source: http://www.otr.com/Mystery.shtml




When I listened to the Sherlock Holmes broadcast. I was a little disappointed.

The problem in this is the conversation keep going back and forth with Watson, Holmes, and other standby characters. It is hard to visualize in this case the other characters activity and how they are adjusting to situations. Now this is of course my opinion to how I feel. It is more in hastened direct conversation between characters with slight lack of background overview. I can understand the characters makeup (imaginary description), and a triangle of conversation. But when a knife or weapon is found, it is hard to place the imaginary conspiracy with constent movement of dialogue with little time to think of motive.

However, this is different opinion if I listened to Buck Rogers or one of the horror stations. Because their is more emotion in comic relief, or spooky fright and sounds. I believe the sounds and emotional techniques had the flow of conjured imagination.

Back to Sherlock Holmes. It is indeed a great mystery story,  just the radio version, The Final Problem made my opinion of it a bit skecthy.
When I saw a  black and white colored version. I saw more sense, not just visually in pictures, but the way the sounds and story flowed. I saw an episode on Turner Classic Movies, Terror by Night. This episode was full of detail suspense, characters, conversation, and artifacts (made sense, and story was not haste). The story added suspense, much like Clue, in who done it. A jewerly piece was missing on the train, and Holmes detected a righthand man of Professor James Moriarty aboard. The scenery, music, sounds, and dialogue macthed perfectly in this manner. A group of suspects are portrayed and when Holmes gets further into an identity, a shadow figure tries to throw him off the train. I won't reveal the ending incase you want to see it, but the real culprit was indeed surprising. The shifts of the scenery in the train along with suspected characters adding their own suspicious activity is what makes a visual Sherlock Holmes better than the radio version in my opinion.

Here is the movie I saw on TCM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rNi7rXxOq0


*Another interesting thing about Shelock Holmes is the actor playing him, Basil Rathbone. Same first name as Disney's Basil of Bakerstreet, "The Great Mouse Detective". Never knew that until I saw Sherlock Holmes in Black and White. The Great Mouse Detective is another good cartoon story. Very dark and a standard kids cartoon. Here is the link, enjoy.



Great Mouse Detective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BXQQp-AJo

No comments:

Post a Comment